Facebook -
Due to the scope and popularity of Facebook, I think a library could benefit greatly from having its own Facebook page. It's also actually rather interesting to read about library's all over the world too, to get ideas on how to make your own library better. A library could borrow some ideas and techniques to make their own function better. Ideas on cataloguing, popular events, new ways to teach people, the list goes on.Of particular interest to me are the New York public library Facebook page and the London library Facebook page. Although I will probably never go to them, I'm glad they have a Facebook page for viewing. On a more local level, I can see what my library up the road is posting ; getting information on events, looking at photos and the like.
-------------------------------------------------------
SCREEN SHOT OF THE STREET LIBRARY WEBSITE
Street Library Website - https://streetlibrary.org.au/
Whilst not being hugely beneficial to libraries in a commercial or constructive extent, I do find Street libraries a very interesting new progression in the way libraries and social media interact. As such :
I believe strongly in street libraries :
a) they encourage all readers and are a very friendly and moral way of borrowing/lending. People seem to respect the unspoken rules, and generally do not take advantage of the 'free' roam status.
b) They encourage children to be engaged with books, and realise the importance of reading.
c) they are also useful to librarians as they can gauge what books are popular at a more basic level than who is on the best seller list. If you wander the streets of Balmain for example (street libraries everywhere), you get a good idea of what is being read and re-read.

No comments:
Post a Comment